Tuesday, August 4, 2009

The Peacemaker

When writing My Heart Will Find Yours, I wanted my heroine to to fire a Colt. Someone asked me, do you mean a Navy Colt, or an Army Colt, known as the Peacemaker?

After some research and actually getting to see a Navy Colt, I decided there was no way my heroine could lift and hit anything with that long barreled pistol. I'd attended a workshop where they had one on display. I couldn't lift it with one hand. Though the 1851 Navy Colt was designate primarily for the Texas Navy, it was most often purchased by civilians and military land forces. A couple of famous users of the Navy Colt were Wild Bill Hickok, Ned Kelly, and Robert E. Lee.

The Army Colt, or Peacemaker, a single action revolver made in 1873, became the gun of the West, cowboys and the military. It was known as "The Great Equalizer" because it could be loaded and fired by just about anyone. Though the barrel is shorter than the 1851 Navy, it's not small by any means.

This is just a brief overview of the Colt .45. I'd forgotten today was my turn to blog so I've put this together in a hurry and didn't go into as great of detail as I'd have liked.

When my heroine, Texanna Keith, is transported back to 1880s Waco, TX, she's impressed to see what she calls a genuine Peacemaker, a real antique. Marshall Royce Dyson is flummoxed at her remark as his firearms are the most current available. Texanna participated in rifle competition in 4-H in school. When Royce learns what 4-H is all about, he wonders why Texanna didn't take to the cooking and sewing. The woman claims she doesn't know how to cook, sew, and certainly can't milk a cow.


I've posted the full first chapter of My Heart Will Find Yours on my website. I hope you'll take a look. And please drop by my blog. I give away and ebook each month.

Happy Reading and Writing!



Linda
http://www.lindalaroque.com/
http://lindalaroqueauthor.blogspot.com/

6 comments:

Lauri said...

Hey Linda,

I love the Peacemaker. They have a beautiful one with "To Live and Die in Dixie" carved on the barrel in the 'vault' at Cabela's. I've shot a newer version (replica), and they are heavy, but fun. :)

Linda LaRoque said...

Sounds beautiful. Did it kick pretty good? I've only shot a 9mm. Thanks for your comment.

Cheryl said...

Cool post, Linda. I never had a gun, but have always been fascinated by them--especially the earlier models that became available during the 1800's.
Cheryl

Linda LaRoque said...

Hi Cheryl,
I've never had one either but did take the concealed handgun glass.

Paty Jager said...

Fun information, Linda.

Linda LaRoque said...

Thanks, Paty! I'll try to be more prepared next time. All this traveling has interfered with business.