Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Canning Food/Recipe for Bread and Butter Pickles

Early homemakers were artists at preparing food for storage for use during the winter months when fresh fruits and vegetables were not available. The art carried through the nineteenth and twenty centuries and there are probably still many homemakers who like to garden and preserve natures bounty.

My mother-in-law Geneva, as one of five girls, developed housekeeping skills at an early age and brought those abilities to her marriage. She had a large garden until her health failed and she couldn't take care of it any longer. She raised two sons and then went to work outside the home. All summer long, after working a full day on her feet as a grocery store clerk, she canned until midnight or later. Nothing went to waste. Tomatoes were made into chow chow, cucumbers into pickles, green beans and blackeyed peas were canned, okra battered and frozen, and the list goes on.

Geneva was famous for her bread and butter pickles. No one could could best her. I'm posting her recipe so you can give it a try. I'd love to hear how they turn out.

Geneva's Bread and Butter Pickles

1 gallon cucumbers, sliced.
2 sweet green peppers, chopped.
8 small onions, chopped.
Put 1/2 c. of sack salt over the cucumbers and
cover with cracked ice.
Set for 3 hrs.
Drain well and make syrup as follows:
5 cups sugar
3 c. apple cider vinegar
2 T. mustard seed
1 1/2 t. Powdered turmeric
1/2 t. powdered cloves
1/2 t. powdered cinnamon
Bring to a boil. Drop in onions, peppers, and drained cucumbers. Heat to scalding hot, but do not boil. Seal in Jars. (Cook in enamel ware or stainless steel pot. Do not use aluminum.) Chill pickles before eating for crispness.

Enjoy!

Linda
Linda LaRoque ~Western Romance with a Twist in Time~ A Law of Her Own, Desires of the Heart, My Heart Will Find Yours, Flames on the Sky10-9, The Wild Rose Press; Forever Faithful, Investment of the Heart, When the Ocotillo Bloom 7-9, Champagne Books.
www.lindalaroque.com/
http://wwww.lindalaroqueauthor.blogspot.com/

5 comments:

Paty Jager said...

Linda, my mom and grandmother(who lived with us)had a huge garden and canned. I do not have their green thumbs or the urge to can. I spent too many summers weeding the garden, snapping beans, and cutting carrots to have even an inkling of wanting to do it, but both my daughters love gardening and canning. I guess it skipped generation. I like freezing things. ;)

Fun blog and the recipe sounds good, but I won't be making it! LOL I'll pass it along to my daughters.

Helen Hardt said...

Hi Linda -- I'm a huge home canner. Pickles, salsa, jams, you name it. Something about putting up food for my family gives me a sense of accomplishment. My pickles are dill, though ;). My mom loves bread and butter pickles. I'll forward your recipe to her.

Helen

Linda LaRoque said...

Paty, my aunt had a big garden but I wasn't really exposed to canning until I married. I tried making apple jelly once and it never set. That was the end of my canning days. How nice that your daughters are keeping their grandmother's tradition alive. I hope they enjoy the pickles.

Linda LaRoque said...

Helen, my mother-in-law felt the same way. I hope your mother likes the bread and butter pickles.

Tanya Hanson said...

Hi Linda, these sound absolutely delish. What is sack salt, however LOL?

I am not very handy in the kitchen; fortunately I married a man who loves to cook and is fabulous at it. I do make a good mac and cheese, and my Thanksgiving stuffing is relatively famous :) Otherwise...not so much.

Canning scares me. I'd be afraid the pressure cookier thing would explode. You can see what a pioneer spirit I possess.