Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Gen. Sam Houston--liberator of San Jacinto

SAM HOUSTON-"THE RAVEN" (1793-1863)



TEXAS OBSERVES

SAN JACINTO DAY

April 21




Gen. Sam Houston, commander of victorious Texas troops at the battle of San Jacinto on April 21, 1836. Houston was first President of the Republic of Texas 1836-1838, seventh governor of the State of Texas, and a US Senator for Texas.
With the outbreak of the Texas Revolution he was named commanding general of the revolutionary army. In March 1836, Houston was a delegate to the convention that declared Texas an independent republic. His command was reconfirmed, and he led the Texas army to a brilliant victory over Santa Anna in the Battle of San Jacinto (Apr. 21, 1836).

Sam was married three times. His first wife was named Eliza Allen. They were married January 22, 1829. Sam Houston's second wife was a Cherokee Indian woman whose name was Tiana Rodgers, also known as Diana Rodgers. They were married in the summer of 1830. Margaret Moffette Lea was Sam Houston's third wife. They were married May 9, 1840 and remained married for the remainder of Sam Houston's lifetime.
"I would not be gotten into a schoolhouse until I was eight years old. Nor did I accomplish much after I started. I doubt I had gone to school six months in all when my father died. I was fourteen at the time."
Quote From Sam Houston before the battle of San Jacinto...
"We view ourselves on the eve of battle. We are nerved for the contest, and must conquer or perish. It is vain to look for present aid: none is at hand. We must now act or abandon all hope! Rally to the standard, and be no longer the scoff of mercenary tongues! Be men, be free men, that your children may bless their father's name."
Quote From Sam Houston on Texas...
"All new states are invested, more or less, by a class of noisy, second-rate men who are always in favor of rash and extrememeasures, but Texas was absolutely overrun by such men." "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may
"In the name of the constitution of Texas, which has been trampled upon, I refuse to take this oath. I love Texas too well to bring civil strife and bloodshed upon her."
*********************************
I am a Native Texan, and a member of the Daughters of the Texas Republic. My ancestor was John Jefferson Hughes who moved to Texas as a boy. Celia Yeary
********************************
My first published novel takes place in Texas in 1880.
ALL MY HOPES AND DREAMS, a Cactus Rose, from THE WILD ROSE PRESS
E-Book release November 21, 2008-Print release February 22, 2009
CELIA YEARY

Blurb:
To escape an arranged marriage, beautiful, proper Cynthia Harrington from East Texas impulsively marries Ricardo Romero, a striking, sensual Spaniard who ranches on the far western edge of the Texas frontier. Innocently, she steps into a hotbed of anger, rivalry, and strong wills. As she struggles to gain a foothold in the hostile household and foreign ranch community, she finds that her biggest challenge is to make her husband love her.

Ricardo creates his own problems by marrying an outsider, angering his mother, father, and his jealous ex-lady friend. Then, the Texas Rangers arrive looking for a killer, and Cynthia saves Ricardo’s mother in a confrontation with the wanted man. Ricardo realizes that his delicate bride has more grit and spunk than he thought, and his greatest trial becomes a race to pursue his own wife and persuade her to stay with him.

18 comments:

Cheryl said...

CELIA!!!
Great post! I love Sam Houston. He was quite a bounder, but all in all, the west wouldn't have been won without him. And his life was so interesting. If you haven't read (here I go again!) Thirteen Moons by Charles Frazer (SP?) and also 1812:The Rivers of War by Eric Flint (this is alternate history, but WONDERFUL)there's a lot about Houston in those. Your posts are always very interesting. I love learning more about Texas since that's where my family came from and we still have ties there.
Cheryl

Lindsay Townsend said...

Hi Celia,
Utterly fascinating. Thanks for the link!

Skhye said...

Great post, Celia. Here's the link to the historical re-enactment this Saturday. :)

http://www.sanjacinto-museum.org/About_Us/News_and_Events/San_Jacinto_Day_2009/Festival_Press_Release/

Paty Jager said...

Interesting Info.

Celia Yeary said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tanya Hanson said...

hi Celia, what a wonderful informative post and link and great blurb.

~Tanya
www.tanyahanson.com

Celia Yeary said...

Sorry--my last reply had too many typos! So, Lindsay and Skhye--I have the link for the re-enactment. And I thank you so much--Celia

Celia Yeary said...

Thanks, Tanya--I found more quotes from Sam Houston,but decided these few were enough to "hear" his voice.He was an interesting man, for sure. Celia

Anne Carrole said...

Great post. I love learning about Texas and Texans. But it made me curious as to what happened to wife number one and number two since he married number two shortly after marriage to number one. I always seem to get caught up in the romantic relationships in history:)

Celia Yeary said...

Anna--I actually don't know what happened. I believe the Native American wife died from some disease--not sure. I read so much--I get caught up in it--then forget most of it unless it's something I need. But he was wild in his younger days, and his third marriage lasted a long time, until his death. His "Raven" days always seemed special to him, and for a long time, he defended the rights of the Native Americans against the US govenment.But when he arrived in Texas,he settled in, and it became a real home. Stories abound that in defending San Jacinto, he cowardly hit the Mexicans when their pants were down--just before sunrise when they were in their longjohns. Some truth to that. Celia

Cheryl said...

LOL Celia! That's not cowardly--that's smart. He learned that from living with the Indians, I'll bet.
Cheryl

Celia Yeary said...

Aha, Cheryl--you're right. That's exactly where he learned it. Did you see a TV enactment of the battle at San Jacinto some years ago, made into a movie for TV?
Dennis Quaid played Sam Houston, and he portrayed him as a bumbling, drunken, indecisive leader, who couldn't decide on a battle plan. Finally, he thought of an easy way to win, raiding at dawn when all the Mexican Army would be asleep, and when they emrged from their tents, shoot 'em down.Much of the army was killed, and only 26 Texans were killed or wounded. Historians have called it an ambush. Now, doesn't that make you mad??? Google it and read the account. This is why I love history--there are often conflicting accounts and you must choose one you like or believe. (Read Elizabeth Crook's novel "The Raven". She's a San Marcos girl, a few years ahead of my kids. Celia

Elaine Cantrell said...

Thanks for an interesting post, Celia. As a history teacher I'm always glad to read about people like Sam Houston. Re-enactments are fun. If you've never been to one you should give it a try.

LK Hunsaker said...

Celia, I enjoyed your post and the quotes. There's a lesson in his "ambush" plan - fight the war to win and it's quick and decisive instead of drawn out forever.

Maggie Toussaint said...

How fascinating, Celia! I enjoyed learning more about Sam Houston. Thanks for inviting me to come here.

Celia Yeary said...

Elaine--I taught biology, but probably should have taught history. That's why I write Western Historicals. I've never been to a re-enactment, but I would just love to go. thanks for stopping by--Celia

Celia Yeary said...

Loraine--I agree with the ambush plan.the word has a negative connatation, but as you said, the tactic beings wars to a close very quickly. Maybe a military person would see it differently--but to me, you'd be giving the enemy a chance. And San Jacinto was Texas' last chance to win and be free. Celia

Celia Yeary said...

Maggie-did you know the Texas Lone Star flag actually came from Georgia? It reportedly was a small flag a women made for a Georgia unit in the Civil War. This is disputed, for Texans like to believe the flag was created for the new Republic of Texas. And Texas was barely in the Civil War. I think it's an interesting story, anyway.thanks for stopping by--Celia