Monday, December 1, 2008

Texas Fruitcake

Time got away from me and I didn't get my blog post ready in time. I hope you'll forgive me and accept this Christmas recipe as a substitute.

We've all received one of those terrible canned fruitcakes as a gift, but here is one you'll be proud to bring out and share with friends or give as a gift. I'm not crazy about fruitcake, especially the dark ones with more fruit than cake, but I love the the ones made from this recipe. It came from a cookbook of Favorite Recipes of Home Economics Teacher. I taught Home Economics for 30 years in Texas and we sold these cookbooks back in the 60s and 70s. I've used this recipe since 1970. The first time I made it my daughter was a baby and I've been hooked ever since.

1/2 lb. candied pineapple
1/2 lb. candied cherries
1/2 lb. raisins
1/2 lb. chopped dates
4 to 5 oz. candied orange peel or sliced candied orange slices
2 lbs. shelled pecans
1/2 lb. shelled walnuts
5 C. flour
1 & 1/4 lb. oleo
2 C. white sugar
1 C. brown sugar
6 eggs
3/4 t. soda
1/2 C. molasses
3/4 C. apricot preserves
3/4 t. cloves
3/4 t. allspice
3/4 t. nutmeg
3/4 t. cinnamon

Cut fruit; dredge fruit and nuts in 1/2 C. flour. Cream oleo & sugars; add eggs, and beat. Mix soda and molasses; stir into sugar mixture with preserves. Add flour and spices (sifted together); add nuts and fruit. Grease two tube pans; line with waxed paper. Grease paper. Turn batter into pans; put pan of water on bottom shelf of oven. Bake 4 hours at 250 degrees.

I use my turkey roaster to mix this all together as it's the largest thing I have. Nothing else seems big enough.

I hope you'll give it a try and your family enjoys it as much as mine does.

Linda

11 comments:

Tanya Hanson said...

Hi Linda,
This sounds so yummy. Maybe I'm a sicko but I even love the store-bought fruitcakes people always joke about.

I'm not much of a baker, but maybe I'll give this a try!

~Tanya

Paty Jager said...

HI Linda,

I've never been a fan of fruitcake even the ones my mom made and wrapped in cheesecloth soaked in rum. Too many unknowns in there for me! LOL

But this recipe sounds good.

Linda LaRoque said...

It is yummy, Tanya. While it lasts I have it for breakfast with my coffee.

Paty, I'd never liked fruitcake, especially the kind soaked with rum, until I tried this recipe.

The only problem, it makes so much and I eat most of it. My figure doesn't need it. So, I usually give my brother one and keep one for us.

I think this year I'll be making my mother's date roll cookies. They disappear in a hurry.

Linda

Lauri said...

Hi Linda,

This recipe sounds like one my grandmother used to make. I'd try it, but I'm afraid my family wouldn't eat it, so just like you, I'd end up eating the whole thing, and my figure doesn't need that, either! However, I copied it down to give to my mom's cousin. She brought a minced meat pie to Thanksgiving that my boys are still wondering about, she'll enjoy making this for Christmas!

Thanks!
Lauri

Celia Yeary said...

Linda--we LOVE fruitcake. Probably we're the very few people in the world who do--even those store-bought kind. I just always hate to admit it, because fruitcake gets such a bad rap. this one sounds wonderful. I have one I make--my husband especially likes it. It's basically nuts and cherries, and you wrap it in a apricot-flavored soakced cheesecloth for about two weeks. Now, that's good. and I think this is great for a blog. Don't apologize. Celia

Chiron said...

Looks like a yummy recipe, Linda!

I have to admit, of all the recipes I've seen, this one definitely looks like the best...

Smiles,
Chiron

CJ Parker said...

I've never been one to like fruit cake, but I'm going to try this one. I'm one of those women who acutally love to cook.

Linda LaRoque said...

Lauri,
Minced meat pie. I felt just like your boys, wondered what the heck was in it but it was good!
I hope you mom's cousin enjoys it. Let me hear.
Linda

Linda LaRoque said...

Yeah, Celia, another fruitcake fan. For me it has to have the right combination of fruit and cake. I love the apricot and molasses flavor, and the raisins. Now, on the soaking, I'm not sure. I think if it has excess moistness, that's what I don't like.
Isn't it something how we can be so picky about our fruitcake.
Glad you enjoyed the post.
Linda

Linda LaRoque said...

Hi Chiron and CJ,
I hope you'll give it a try and let me know what you think. I used to cook fruitcake and all types of candies for Christmas. These days we just get the basics. Can't afford all those calories. The French Fudge was a real killer.
Linda

Judith Leger said...

I swear, Linda, I have never been a fruit cake lover. This one sounds great though. My Mom, now that was another story. She LOVED fruit cakes. Thanks for sharing!