Sunday, September 7, 2008

Coming in November


Shotgun Bride, Book One of The Quinter Brides, will be released in e-book in November. This is the story of the oldest Quinter brother, Kid, and his bride, Jessie.

Like most girls, Jessie Johnson will never forget the first time she met her mother-in-law. After all who can forget a shotgun pointed at them? Bartered for a dead horse and held at gun point, she either agrees to marry Kid Quinter or her brother will hang for stealing the old nag. Equally concerning is the likelihood their wedding will put her handsome husband in danger.

After being knocked unconscious by his brothers, Kid Quinter finds himself surrounded by his uncouth family, the sheriff, a preacher, and an adorable young woman. Tied to a chair, he's given no choice but to marry Jessie Johnson. And that’s just the beginning of his troubles- it appears his pretty little wife had a former life as a prostitute and there’s a notorious gunslinger looking for retribution.

This was to be a stand alone story, but I grew up in western Kansas where the story is set, and while researching some of the locations I had visited years ago, settings and plots for the other brothers popped out.

Recently I was asked if I picture myself as the heroine while writing my stories, and I said no, I always see the characters more as my children, sons and daughters. And this story made that crystal clear, because just like real children, the second brother began to scream so loud in my head to give his story attention, I found myself writing both stories at the same time.

Does that happen to the rest of you Cactus authors? Before you are done with one story, a second one is stepping up to the plate, or perhaps I should say keyboard?

3 comments:

Celia Yeary said...

Yes, I understand you very well. I do exactly that same thing. A series, family saga, sequels, whatever you wish to call them, that's what happens to me. I'm working on edits now for TEXAS BLUE, which led to two more novels-the first is the mother's story, the second is the older daughter's story, and the third is the younger daughter's story. and my first release--ALL MY HOPES AND DREAMS is more like a parrallel story, becaue I took my heroine from TEXAS BLUE. In fact, I have a complete genealogy worked out on a chart of every character, their spouses and children, and I could write several more stories from just this chart. Isn't it weird? these characters a like a real family to me. I liked your blog and can't wait to read the final product. Celia Yeary

Paty Jager said...

Does that happen to the rest of you Cactus authors? Before you are done with one story, a second one is stepping up to the plate, or perhaps I should say keyboard?

Yes. Only it doesn't even have to be related books. But when I was writing the second Halsey brother book, "Outlaw in Petticoats" the characters for the third book started vying for equal time with the book I was working on and that book, the third one, was written fairly fast because the characters were so strong.

Right now, I have a historical vying with a contemporary for equal time. But the contemporary is winning out because it is about finished.

Lauri said...

Wow, Celia, you must be a very organized person to have a complete genealogy chart worked out for your characters! LOL I love it. Look forward to hearing more about your books.

I agree Paty, they don't have to be related books. I too find the one that's almost done to take the spot light. It's like telling the other story to hold on, then they can have all the attention. Oh, but then the next ones pops up, doesn't it?